Tuesday 7 October 2008

In not so many words

Words said well, by others
Language is a comfortable inspiration. Without it we are nothing and with it we are everything and anything we choose to be. As one would expect, some are more fluent in clever comments than others and I have always admired those who speak the same way they write, because thinking in long words and extensive vocabulary is not as easy as it sounds. I'd like to propose a toast to the following word smiths and friends who have brightened my life with perfect expression.

To the words of others, their spectacular quotes and many more in future conversation.

Quotes best kept close to the heart

The man who can't visualise a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”

Easy tiger.” a guy in Lloyds the other night

You’re one of the rare people who can do absolutely nothing and still look perfect” at 4.30am in the morning, after we'd laid out watching the sky and having intense conversation the entire night.

You are so full of life in the most existentialist way.”

When on earth did you get so good looking?” before she started taking interest and we became good friends.

You freak me out.” If you knew my Mum, you would understand why that's so hilarious.

Try not to get caught up in attempting to be ‘good’ rather than focus on being faithful! Nothing can separate you from the love of God.”

You can get up in the morning and decide, today will be a good day or a bad day.” Nana

I wrap so well you can hardly tell it's a present.” Abi

I’ll have a girlfriend when I find a girl who can give me something a man can't.” Let his fiance hear that now.

I don't think you should feel bad about your body. I mean, I've seen you. You've got a nice ass.” Someone I live with. You know who you are.

In some ways that's artistic. In a lot of ways it's alcoholic.” Looking at all the empty bottles the morning after the night before.

I can’t be a paedophile, I’m not 18.” Nick

Gingers are a dying race.” My Mum isn't really racist.

What species is your Mum?” Some guy in my English class to the Sunni girl from South Africa

You do spell 7 S-E-V-E-R-N right?” LATER “That’s only if you’re welsh.” Epitome of intelligence? That's the blondes for you.

Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” James Dean, live by this and you will have a good life.

"His attitude to life is negative and self-pitying. He puts little into it, and consequently gets little out of it. All children and teenagers are familiar with the problem. They find it easy to slip into a state of fretful boredom which causes negative feedback. The feeling that nothing is worth the effort causes a sinking of the energies (for we summon energy like summoning the genie out of the lamp, when we are gripped by purpose), which in turn increases the feeling that life is a bore, which increases the fatigue... And so on in a cycle of self-enfeeblement.” No one ever made so much sense, if only I knew who said it.

The only response to a child's grave it to lie down before it and play dead.” Bill Knott

Chaos is when a man walks ahead, but his soul lags behind.”

As far as I'm concerned, love is what you feel for someone you don't know very well, if at all.”

Everything I do is based on an urge that I don't understand, though I keep trying to understand it.” both from Frisk by DC

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief because there will be so much to look forward to.” Donnie Darko

What’s the point of living if you don’t have a dick?” Donnie Darko

[his eyes] opened to show off a mind built of weird contradictions”

Don’t make me feel this then leave.”

You could categorize it, which was sad.”

All three from Period by Dennis Cooper

Whatever I dreamt basically is real.” Eugene Hutz

I don't even hate you. I feel nothing. You are just dust and ashes to me now.” Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

It's all rather serious isn't it, this business of being alive.” Angel Clare, same book as above

How am I not myself?” I heart Huckabees

The thing that matters is not what they show me but what they hide from me and, above all, what they do no suspect is in them.” Robert Bresson

Dream your way out of the present.”

Hope is only where despair is.” Both from Possibility of Hope featurette in conjunction with Children of Men

Louise - “They’re charging us with murder.” Thelma - “Oooo.” Thelma & Louise

Life has only one great lesson, it says to you pay attention.” Harlan Ellison

The only thing worse than not having what you want is obtaining it in full.” Philosopher on telly

We go to the same college. I think I kicked a ball at you once.”

Get busy living or get busy dying.” Shawshank Redemption

“That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger” Nietzsche

That's all life is, sister, a series of moments. Why don't you seize yours?” 

Sex is a joke in heaven?”

The way I understand it, sex is mostly a joke down here too.” All three from Dogma

I know how they take those things off honey, but I don't know how they stick 'em back on.” Sex Change Hospital

I'll give you my blood if you want. But it works both way – I want some fucking blood too.” Frank Carter, Gallows

Originals never fit.” Levis

I blamed them for everything that is less easily articulated but most responsible for why I am such a mistake of flesh. Said flesh is tragically permanent and inescapable, heaped on a random skeleton with bones not unlike the bars of a fucking cage.” Killa Luka

I will cut his head off and shovel shit down his throat for even thinking he can get it from a girl like you.” Jimmy

 “Don't trust people because they are only human.” Isiah 33 v 3

The whole conviction of my life now rests upon the belief that lonliness, far from being a rare and curious phenomenon, is the central and inevitable fact of human existence.” Thomas Wolfe, God's Lonely Man

The stars will tell us if we're right.” From a letter by an angel

A lot of people just fucking leave you.” This is England

If you ever want someone to talk to, cry with or just have a fucking hug, I promise I won’t let you down.” This Is England

Excuse me, you're standing on my surfboard.” I can't remember, but it was bloody funny.

Buy me some alcohol?” Wait until you're 18.” I'm in a hurry.” Me & some well underage kid outside Co-op

Everything is the same, but different.” My Gran

College was okay today. When I say ‘okay’ I mean it didn’t kill me.” That was actually me that said that.


__*CHARLITE says:

do i love you?

__*CHARLITE says:

i think i do

__*CHARLITE says:

i think you are the best and most loyal friend ever”


From Jim, on a day that I needed to hear this: I love you, you are the best friend ever. You constantly exceed my expectations and are rather erotically the most intelligent conversationist I know. Xx”

The light’s so bright it could be shining from heaven, and we could be angels. But it’s not, and we’re not.” Mysterious Skin, Scott Heim

I tend to let people assume the worst.” That was me too.

A vegetarian driving a 4x4 all year is more sustainable than a meat eater riding a bicycle all year.”

A problem will get heavier when the only person carrying it is you.” Can't remember, but I wrote it in my notebook while sitting in Gare du Nord.

Please believe that it’s all good with me, and if it’s not it will be soon. And I’ll believe the same for you.” The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, Stephen Chobsky

[He] looks cute when he's sleeping, yes. I bet you look cute when you're sleeping. I bet I don't.” DC

Ask me anything, ladies and gentleman - I'm through with uncertainty.” Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Hitrecord.org

Other things I like to hear and deserve to be recognised as 'quotes' because it's so great to get told:

  • Food's ready

  • I love you

  • Happy Birthday!

  • If you're tired, go to sleep

  • Do you want to be a godparent?

  • Let's get coffee

  • Your hair is amazing/magnificent/the best thing I have ever seen, ever

  • Thank you

  • I'll miss you


Really, it's all just a build up to those moments when words aren't needed. Everyone one I've shared one or more of those with, thanks.

Watch what you say ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment