Sunday 9 November 2008

I Think I'm Paranoid

After a quick (or not so quick) catch up with scanning in articles, tonight's entertainment has so far consisted of watching Paranoid Park on Youtube and an online party via msn. Back up, from the October 2008 Piracy issue of i-D, a feature and fashion shoot with Paranoid Park star Gabe Nevins. So far to say as his pretty face reminded me how I've meaning to get round to watching Gus Van Sant's skate film and hit up the tube to check it out. 

The article:




Pretty boy growing up so fast. Let's hope those looks don't fade and he keeps his mean gaze for lens' that are worth the while. Don't give up on the screen working, you held my attention and it's a hard thing to do, boy.

The film:
Like I said, been waiting to see this since it came out, just never had time or lost all the movie shops or something. My critical eye was pleased. Pleasantly so.

Gus Van Sant hasn't made a film that I've seen and disliked. His casual pace, long shots and beautiful frames hold me captive in Elephant, Last Days, Drugstore Cowboy, his segment in Paris, je t'aime and now Paranoid Park. The binary oppositions in the construction of Van Sant's work do everything for him, I do not get bored and I do not feel tired, I watch and take in and feel voyeuristic and part of that world all at the same time. 

Gabe Nevins is enthralling as a doe-eyed, naive protagonist. Supporting actor Jake Miller is just as convincing, although a couple of the other 'non' actors pulled off the streets are questionable, in my opinion. For example, Lauren McKinney has the same aura about her that ten year olds have when they know they are being watched and play up their act. However, generally Van Sant's 'real' acting technique works and works well. 

The plot is simple, juxtaposed and takes piecing together, while not purposely leading the audience in a wrong direction. In fact the denouement is fairly obvious right from the start, from the premise of the film even, it is the way that Van Sant leads us through the story that makes Paranoid Park worth watching. 

For those who appreciate well placed cuts, good editing, skateboards and the boys that ride them, puppy eyes and sideways caps, 'realism' and Van Sant's distinguished cinematic style. 


No comments:

Post a Comment